The West Lancashire Golf Club was founded in 1873 by seven members of Royal Liverpool Golf Club anxious to expand the 'Scottish national game' by bringing it across the River Mersey.
As such, the West Lancashire Golf Club is the oldest in the county of Lancashire and one of the earliest golf clubs in England.
The architect of the first course layout in 1874 is unknown, but later, Tom Dunn, William Park, Hilton himself and James Braid were all engaged in developing it and when Bernard Darwin arrived in 1922. The present course, opened in 1961, was designed and laid out by CK Cotton, who lists Royal Lytham & St Annes, Ganton and Blairgowrie among his professional credits.
In terms of golf, West Lancashire was one of the twenty four leading clubs that subscribed to the cost of The Amateur Championship trophy in 1885.