The Royal Ostend Golf Club was founded in 1903 and stretches out in the dunes in the middle of the Belgian coastline.
As the only links in Belgium, it provides a challenging and technical golf course, as well as outstanding views over the sea and the dunes.
At the end of the nineteenth century, King Leopold II decided to make Ostend more attractive for British tourists by establishing a golf course in accordance with the best prevailling Anglo-Saxon notions. The course was designed by Seymour Dunn and the solemn inauguration took place on July 1st 1903.
After the First World War, the golf course and the clubhouse werecompletely destroyed and had to be rebuilt. The same happened again during the Second World War. On July 7th 1948, the restored course was inaugurated. From 1950, the Belgian Royal family came very often to play golf, especially King Leopold III.
During the nineties, the course underwent a renovation by the famous golfarchitect Martin Hawtree. At the same time the clubhouse was renovated in a pure English style. Every year, an important competition programme, with more than 40 different prize donors, takes place from spring till autumn.
The R.O.G.C., after 100 years of existence, will be the first golf club in Belgium to maintain for its 700 members the typical ‘links’ character and at the same time to respect the ecological requirements.