In June of 1891 a Mr. C. Nigel Stewart issued a circular stating that Leasowe Golf Club had been formed and that ‘suitable land for a links had been procured on Leasowe Common’.
The original nine holes became Moreton Ladies Golf Club and later, during the First World War, market gardens. Although the Leasowe course was extended later to 18 holes much land was lost to the sea. For instance the 1st tee, which was near the present 5th green faced out into what were sandhills and is now part of the sea defences. More land was lost when it was decided to straighten Leasowe Road.
Many alterations were made over the years and eventually land was obtained in the vicinity of Leasowe Castle, which dominates our course, and is very much a part of our general history. The land was held on lease until 1984 but the whole course is now fully owned by Leasowe Golf Club.This brief outline of our history would not be complete without mention of the awful fire of 1963, which destroyed the Clubhouse.