Isle of Skye Golf Club

More photos of this course

No other pictures found.

Course information

Sconser Golf Club was formed at a meeting held in Sligachan Hotel on 23rd November 1964 and the course was later constructed on a piece of land leased to the club by Ian Campbell, Sconser. Shortly afterwards Mr Campbell found himself in conversation with Neil Maclean, a fellow Skye man who was a surgeon in Glasgow. Mr Maclean suggested that a medical colleague of his was also an avid golfer, who had represented his country at international level and who, if approached, might be willing to assist in the project.

Dr.Frank Deighton, a former Walker Cup player, was then asked by Mr Campbell to design and lay out nine holes for the purpose of playing golf – a challenge he enthusiastically accepted. As the course developed Mr Campbell generously allowed members to use part of one of the outbuildings beside his house as a club room - the original 1st tee was near the site of the present 7th tee. George Gibson - a founder member of the club who lived in Portree but now resides in Inverarnie - remembers the early days. He said that there were no fairways as only tees and greens had been partially prepared and he recalls with some amusement memories of cutting the greens with a hand mower on balmy summer evenings - barefooted! .

Over the next 20 yrs the club grew and became established. In 1984 the land was purchased from the Campbell family and a fence erected to remove the sheep which had traditionally grazed on the course. Electric fences, which had been installed around the greens to prevent damage from the animals, became a thing of the past. 

Designer: 
Ian Campbell
Year Founded: 
1964
Par: 
67
Yards: 
4776
Green Fees: 
£25
Day Rate Green Fees: 
£35
Address
Address: 
Sconser
Isle of Skye
IV48 8TD
United Kingdom
Country: 
Scotland
Phone: 
44 (0) 1478 650465