Gweedore Golf Club was founded in 1923, becoming affiliated in 1927, playing on a 9 hole course, mainly on Commonage land and some privately owned fields. It seems the club did not function from 1939 until it was resurrected in 1960.
Small scale but significant developments occurred over the years, from having a small tin hut close to the graveyard in the 1930s, built at a cost of £27, to a new modern clubhouse in 1976, to replace the temporary prefab from 1970 and then the extension and refurbishment in 1989.
The purchase of strips of land began in 1970 – the site of the Clubhouse and the present first fairway – bought from Johnny Conaghan, Cotteen. Further land and share purchases followed regularly and after many years of effort and enthusiasm the club finally achieved its first objective in 2014, of having a 9 hole course on its own land.
Combined with its majority shareholding on the Commonage, the course now comprises of 14 distinct holes and the club is determined to achieve its ultimate aim of having an 18 hole course for its members whose efforts over many years should result in a much needed amenity for the parish of Gweedo