Ballyliffin Golf Club - The Old Links

Ballyliffin Old Course

More photos of this course

No other pictures found.

Course information

Work on the course began in 1970, that is what we now know as the 'old' links. At first 9 holes were prepared for play and eventually by 1973 eighteen holes were in play. Eddie Hackett who was the golfing architect attached to Bord Failte, visited the course on several occasions and helped to lay out the playing holes, although it is true to say that two English architects visited the course as well and gave their views on how it should be laid out. They were Lawrie and Pennick. In the final analysis, the course which emerged, perhaps took something from each of them, and quite a few suggestions from Martin Hopkins were incorporated in the final pattern.

The exact date of origin of the game of Golf in the Ballyliffin area is difficult to pinpoint. Clubs in Greencastle (1893), North West (1890) and the City of Derry (1912) were already well established by the 1940's and supposedly their success acted as a reassuring prompt to the formal establishment of a Club in Ballyliffin. The game had been played spasmodically at Pollen Green (Gerard Grants Land) by members of the British Army, stationed at Leenan Fort and later in the 1920's and 1930's by Carndonagh Bankers and others who could afford the time. In any case by the middle to late 1940's after the end of World War ll the concept of establishing a Club in the area gained momentum. A meeting of those interested in the formation of the Golf Club at Ballyliffin was held in Ballyliffin Hall on 2nd April, 1947. It was formally proposed by Dr. F. C. Friel, seconded by P.J. McCarroll and passed unanimously that the Ballyliffin Golf Club be established.

Designer: 
Lionel Hewson /Tom Simpson
Year Founded: 
1970
Par: 
71
Yards: 
6937
Green Fees: 
110 EUR
Day Rate Green Fees: 
170 EUR
Address
Address: 
Inishowen
Co Donegal
Ireland
Phone: 
353 (0)74 9376 11
Twitter: